This cabbage soup is very hearty and more of a chili consistency, with a little bit of zip added in. I like to keep some sort of SmartPoint-friendly soup in the fridge for lunch or a quick grab-and-go food choice. It has a tiny 2 Weight Watchers(r) SmartPoints per serving, and there’s lots of ways to make it even more SmartPoint friendly.
- Make it entirely with ground turkey.
- Replace the spaghetti sauce with plain tomato sauce (add oregano or other seasonings for more flavor).
- Replace the Chili Beans with a can of unseasoned beans, like pinto, more kidney or black beans.
- Replace the can of tomatoes with green chilies with plain tomatoes (go for low sodium, since the bouillon adds a lot of sodium).
- Add more tomato sauce, or water, if you prefer a thinner consistency.
Hearty Cabbage Soup
- 1/2 pound 90% lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound 99% fat-free ground turkey breast
- 1/2 cup chopped onion(s)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 4 beef bouillon cubes (9 pts)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrot(s)
- 1/2 head rough chopped cabbage
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper(s)
- 2 cans red kidney beans, undrained
- 1 can Dakota’s Mild Chili Beans, undrained (9 pts a can)
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes w Green Chilies, Best Choice (4 pts a can)
- 16 oz Prego Traditional Spaghetti Sauce (9 pts)
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp black pepper
Optional: Fresh green beans; or frozen green beans, corn or other veggies.
Dissolve the bouillon cubes in 1 cup boiling water.
In a skillet on the stove, brown ground beef, ground turkey, onion and garlic.
Now start dumping everything into the slow cooker; stir to mix. Cook on high for four hours, low for 8 hours.
In the last hour, add in frozen green beans, corn or other frozen veggies. If using fresh green beans, add them at the start.